How to Build a Funding Strategy That Maximizes Startup Value
Smart founders build a bottoms-up funding strategy that levels the playing field with seasoned investors. Learn how a funding strategy reduces uncertainty and risk, accelerates fundraising, and dramatically increases founder payouts by 3x or more.
Approx. 4 hours, 140 slides
Building A Funding Strategy:
Too many founders rush into investor pitches without a clear strategy, making irreversible valuation, tax and fundraising mistakes. Diving right into a pitch deck is alluring and fun, but failing to understand the right funding approach, sources, vehicles and targets leads to higher stress, increased risk, and -- most importantly -- greatly reduced founder payouts.
Discover the right way to fund your startup by first determining how much to raise, when to raise, from where, what type of funds, and from whom. We'll cover how to maximize valuations, improve fundraising terms, and minimize founder dilution by strategically identifying and leveraging your startup’s inflection points. You will also learn nuances of convertible notes, SAFEs, preferred stock sales and how they affect founder ownership.
TWO WAYS TO BUY...
Get It In A Package
Building a successful startup requires many skills. Our training packages bundle multiple topics into a single purchase to provide introductory, core or advanced training.LEARN MORE
Founders who don't need breadth and only want a deep dive into Funding Strategies can buy this course à la carte and receive full access to all topics below.BUY NOW
Course Topics Covered in Each Package
Introductory Topics, including:
- Typical approach to fundraising
- Painful outcomes from common fundraising mistakes
- When to raise funds and why
- How investor-friendly terms drove a disastrous outcome for founders
- How much to raise
- Comparing founder payouts with and without a funding strategy
- How inflection pts drive fundraising
- Funding approach, sources, vehicles and targets
- Next steps and additional resources
Everything in Starter, plus:
- Inflection points: product, sales & marketing, business development & intellectual property
- Inflection point time and cost
- Bottoms-up estimates feed the financial model
- Illustrating inflection points
- Valuation & stakeholder ownership
- Common & preferred stock
- Convertible notes and SAFEs
- How convertible instruments convert to stock
- Inflection point worksheet
Everything in Pro, plus:
- Bottoms-up financial modeling
- How high-level inflection points drive smart fundraising
- Non-professional sources
- Pro/semi-pro sources: angels, VCs, ...
- Pre-money vs. post-money SAFEs
- Common stock fundraising
- Friends and family vehicles
- Investor alignment & value add
- Evaluating investor fit
- Inflection point Gantt chart
- Investor fit worksheet
Startup Resources for Every Budget
Want to learn more about our Training Packages? Click here for all the details.
Just want this standalone funding strategy course?
Get access to the full course and tools for just $597.BUY THE COURSE